Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Face it Kenny, no girl's gonna want to have pop tarts for dinner every night when they get married!

I really like lists. I think they're generally completely useless, which is why I find them so enjoyable to compose. Unfortunately for my nihilistic side, they can be quite revealing and helpful at times. Below is a selection from people.com's 25 Best Country Love Songs (Ever).

1. I Will Always Love You-Dolly Parton (1974)
Bittersweet memories
That's all I have and all I'm taking with me
Good-bye, oh please don't cry
Cause we both know that I'm not what you need
But I will always love you
I will always love you


4. Crazy-Patsy Cline (1961)
Crazy, I'm crazy for feeling so lonely
I'm crazy, crazy for feeling so blue
I knew you'd love me as long as you wanted
And then someday you'd leave me for somebody new
Worry, why do I let myself worry?
Wond'ring what in the world did I do?
Crazy for thinking that my love could hold you
I'm crazy for trying and crazy for crying
And I'm crazy for loving you


5. The Dance-Garth Brooks (1989)
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known that you'd ever say goodbye
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance


6. Always on My Mind-Willie Nelson (1982)
And maybe I didn't hold you
all those lonely, lonely times
And I guess I never told you
I'm so happy that you're mine
Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time
You were always on my mind
You were always on my mind


9. He Stopped Loving Her Today-George Jones (1980)
He said I'll love you 'til I die
She told him you'll forget in time
As the years went slowly by
She still preyed upon his mind
He kept her picture on his wall
Went half crazy now and then
He still loved her through it all
Hoping she'd come back again
Kept some letters by his bed
Dated 1962
He had underlined in red
Every single I love you


Five out of 25 of the greatest love songs in country are not love songs, they're heartbreak songs! Obviously, some part of Country equates love with anguish. It's as if the ultimate proof for your love is a life of torment. Good God, now can y'all see that George Jones and Garth Brooks are just reincarnations of Ovid and Catullus?

No comments:

Post a Comment